Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Modern Voting Machines and their SERIOUS Flaws

When I was in Peru I was talking to my family about the PROBLEMS with the current modern voting machines. I tried to explain why the machines were insecure but I wasn't able to adequately explain why. Here are two videos on YouTube that explain the problems with the voting machines. I strongly recommend you take 10 minutes and watch both of them.





The problems with electronic voting machines are serious and real. We all need to put pressure on our local government to boycott these machines and return to the original paper ballots. Unfortunately, we live in a world were people will go to great lengths to mess with elections, and because of such precautions must be taken. These new voting machines only allow individuals alter ballots more effectively and quietly.

The reason for computerized voting is that it will take significantly less time to count the ballots and save millions of dollars, but are we willing to sell the security of our elections for a few days and a few million dollars? The strength of our country depends on HONEST and OPEN elections. Diebold has been pushing for years to hide the flaws in their machines and I honestly believe that hiding the problem will not make it go away. Only be confronting the problems with these current machines can we ensure honest and fair elections.

2 comments:

Maury Hiers said...

Why?

Anonymous said...

Before I moved from Utah, I was asked to participate in a trial run for an electronic voting system. I'm young, I'm hip... I know computers. Using the machine wasn't terribly difficult, but it surprised me how many chances there were for errors along the way (as the video shows).