I have never met some of these women, but I have developed some kind of relationship with them. This may sound cheesy, but I do care for them and want them to be happy. My best nights are when callers say that our conversation was helpful to them; my worst are when some women are in such a state of despair that I worry about them doing bodily harm or when they start a verbal fight with me. Luckily, my encounter with the topic of suicide has been limited.
Most of these women have been abused by someone or by some system. A lot of these women are alone with little family, no friends, and no home. A constant theme I keep hearing is loneliness. One woman asked me if I knew what it was like to not be able to hug anyone or have any physical contact. Another woman told me that she has no family or friends to talk to and craves any type of relationship - even just to talk about her day.
I empathize with these women and ache for them, but I know I cannot truly understand their situation by the simple nature of my own experiences. I have grown up with love, I provide love, and am constantly receiving love by numerous friends and family. As one caller told me, "it's a privileged to have a friend and I don't have it."
4 comments:
You are a brave person. Answering desperate phone calls would be difficult for me.
Aubrey,
Thank you for sharing your special experiences with us. Ever since I learned that you were doing this work, I have been curious as to what you actually do. Years ago, my younger brother did his Eagle Scout project by building book cases for a battered woman's shelter. This has been my only encounter with this type of home/shelter, but it left a lasting impression and memory for me. You are providing a much needed service to them, by being a "listening ear" and "friend" that many of them don't have. I have no doubt they greatly appreciate your service.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Great insights, Aubrey--you're the best.
That's incredible. I really am not sure I could handle being someone's only support system.
Post a Comment