On February 21, my great aunt Mildred passed away. She was the youngest of four girls and my grandmother was the third. All of the Purdom girls were talented and fun women and I love learning more and more about their lives.
Below are pictures of my great Aunt Mildred and her sisters as well as my father's side of the family when I was about 5 years old (if you can find me). Aren't they beautiful? All of these pictures were taken on Martha's Vineyard and I love that my sisters and I have similar pictures in the same places.
My Aunt Mildred saw a lot of tragedy in her life, but was a strong and brave soul. I will always remember her for her Southern drawl, Frito salad, playing the piano backwards and her beautiful paintings. We would run to her house on the Vineyard (just down from ours) and have tea parties and puppet shows. It really was an idyllic childhood and I count myself lucky to have had so many grandmothers.
So, at the end of February I flew down to Atlanta for the funeral and it was a beautiful service. I miss my own grandmother, Mama Jean, whom passed away last year, and now with Aunt Mildred gone it is the end of an era. Such a lovely generation that will always be remembered and beloved.
Lastly, this gorgeous cameo necklace belonged to my Mama Jean and my sisters and I have decided to take turns sharing it - as it is sentimental and classic. Luckily it's my turn right now and I love it and love that it was hers.





1 comment:
Beautiful pictures Aubrey and wonderful sentiments of Aunt Mildred and Mama Jean. They will always be missed.
Post a Comment