Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sculling

Going from this:


To this:

I've started a sculling class (which involves 2 oars), but I'm still involved with the rowing club (which is sweep rowing - 1 oar). The picture above makes sculling look so easy and I was okay once I got into a rhythm, but let me tell you, those boats are much more tippy than an 8-person boat. I'm sure I'll be swimming in the Charles at some point this summer. Luckily we are in individual training boats, so they have a little more balance; however, the racing singles are skinnier than my hips. Yikes!

I'm also training for the position as a coxswain - you know the person that yells at the rowers and tells them what to do. I know my small body is the ideal candidate, but I think I'll enjoy it more once I get more experience. I like coxing, however, I also like the workout of rowing, so my goal is to cox sweep rowing more often and then do sculling on my own. This is a nice time to be on the water.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I think that you are crazy, but I am sure you are in great shape!

jackie said...

i think it is so cool that you do this! i do the rowing machine at the gym a few times a week and it makes me think about you! and i pretend i am on one of those boats in the river instead of the stinky gym.

Conrad said...

Love all the pictures and Summer ideas! Sculling looks like a lot of fun! I'm sure you'll do well! Much different I'm sure than rowing in the little boat on the Vineyard :) On Monday, Jenny & I went on a guided 1/2 day sea kayaking tour out of Rockport, MA. We went to Thatcher Island which has 2 light houses on it. We climbed to the top of one of them for an awesome view! Highly recommend the trip! Thanks again for the pictures.