Friday, June 8, 2012

Navigating the Charles


I've been meaning to blog about rowing for some time now. Our spring season ended by Memorial Weekend and now our summer season starts next week. I am A LOT more involved now as I'm the MITRC Secretary, so I help plan and organize everything. I schedule and organize about 60 people.

In the spring I only coxed, which means I steer the boat and give the commands. Basically the coxswain is the captain of the boat and the coach is usually in a launch boat nearby. I have a love/hate relationship with coxing, which I'm still trying to figure out. I feel a ton of pressure and responsibility, but I also like being in charge (who doesn't?).

However, in addition to the MIT rowing club now I've started a sculling class, which I did last year. This is a lot of fun for me, but also challenging as I'm working on my technique and the differences between sweep rowing and sculling. Also, now I'm building up blisters...not so fun.

Yet, the Pierce Boathouse and the Charles River is a familiar place to me as I go there often. I sometimes wish we lived right by the river only to avoid finding parking on Memorial Drive. It would be so much easier.

Also, the song 'Row, row, row your boat' has a different meaning to me now.


2 comments:

Lisa H. said...

i love when you blog about rowing, aubrey! it always makes me think that i need a cool sport to do.

Lindsey said...

This is such a cool hobby you have, i'm impressed everytime you post an update about it! I need to find something I love to do like this... hmmm... now you've got me thinking!

xo
lindsey
lindseyandorlando.blogspot.com