Massachusetts has a great holiday called Patriots Day (which always coincided with spring break when I was in school). It starts off at midnight with a reenactment of the Paul Revere ride (remember, the British are coming) and then at dawn is the reenactment of the battle of Lexington and Concord.
Well, both of those activities are wicked late and early, so instead I opt for the annual Boston Marathon. I grew up watching the marathon with my family (usually in Wellesley) and passing out water cups and sliced oranges to the runners. It was always a fun event - especially cheering on my dad, whom has run the marathon a few times.
But this year was the first time I watched the race in Boston (at the finish line). Of course it was mobbed, but there was lots of energy, noise and cheering.
A lot of volunteer workers waiting for tired runners with blankets. Perhaps next year I'll volunteer.
Charlotte's 1st marathon
This was the most amazing part of the race. Look closely - those are soldiers with all their gear and packs on (including the boots). There was a lot of them too (probably a platoon) and the crowd went wild for them.
My mom joined me, which was so much fun.
The finish line
I like this picture of old meets new
That's a wrap. Well done marathoners.
2 comments:
Oh I miss watching the Marathon in Wellsley. I'm glad the you and Mom had the opportunity to watch the race at the end in Boston. Way to shake up tradition. Looks like fun.
It was fun being at the finish line for a change. You get a different perspective of the runners. I'm glad we could introduce Charlotte to one of our favorite Boston traditions.
Post a Comment