Thursday, October 7, 2010

Novice Rower

So, after rowing a couple times a week for over a month now, here are some of my thoughts as a novice:

-Layers are key, especially when it's raining
-Your hands eventually go numb
-Rowing all 8 is harder than it looks. I'm amazed at how other boats can set/balance the boat so well
-The boats and HEAVY! My arms get a work out just getting the boat in and out of the water
-Bow seat is the best because you can see all the other rowers in front of you
-Coxing is fun too, but only when you know what you are doing
-The Charles is gross and dirty, but beautiful too
-Watching ducks do handstands in the water is amusing, but distracting
-There is more traffic on the Charles at 6:00am than on Memorial Drive
-Sunrise is getting later and later
-Rowing uses all muscles, but mostly your lower half. You use your legs first, then your arms
-I prefer starboard
-Average number of bridges to go under: 7

I really enjoy rowing and this has been a good learning experience. I'm interested in mastering coxing (the person that gives the commands and handles the rudder) and would like to scull an individual boat come spring. Right now I'm participating in sweep rowing, which means each person has one oar. Whereas, sculling uses two oars.

2 comments:

Emily said...

i think you are so awesome! actually that is amazing. so much more dedication than quilting. I hope all is well for you. You are my hero. so totally tough! awesome!

cate said...

That's so cool you have been taking up the rowing thing! I will have to show my husband Matt this post as he started learning to row at the end of this summer, right before we moved to Scotland. Now he is looking into doing some stuff with an intramural team here with the Uni of Edinburgh. So cool!