There is also a helpline, which I answer and mostly just listen to women reaching out. Most of these women are lonely and don't have great support systems, in conjunction with other issues. Sometimes it's quiet and then there are other nights when I get an earful about conspiracy theories. I've really enjoyed volunteering; however, I'll be honest, it can be emotionally draining at times.
Yet, the main thing I have learned so far is that everyone wants to be heard and validated. We all want to be respected and understood. So, regardless of what's going on - that's what I try to remember - that we all want to be heard. Not just listened to, but heard. Does that make sense?
I think organizations like this are great and healthy for the community.
2 comments:
it's so wonderful that you're doing this! inspiring.
Good for you, Aubs! I'm sure those women are grateful.
Post a Comment